With India going through a vigorous transition period pertaining to health and lifestyle, there are millions of people who are unknowingly caught up in the loop of lifestyle diseases.
Lifestyle disease has recently got massive attention due to an increase in disorders – Cardiovascular disorder, Hypertension, PCOD, Cancer, Dyslipidemia, Arthritis, Alzheimer, Asthma, Chronic liver disease, Colitis, irritable bowel syndrome – Are all examples of disorders caused by an unhealthy lifestyle.
So what is lifestyle disease? Lifestyle disorder is an illness primarily based on people’s daily habits. Today’s lifestyle has distracted people from activity, pushing them towards a sedentary routine leading to multiple health problems. People are getting affected with multiple non-communicable diseases that can have near life-threatening aftermath.
In the older times, our ancestors maintained a healthy life by constantly being active and not eating faulty foods. Diet and exercise are two important ways to effectively eradicate lifestyle disorders, reducing the chances of attracting common health problems. If you would have noticed our ancestors used to maintain a healthy lifestyle by following a particular routine, healthy and timely eating habits, and keeping themselves busy with some exercise or the other. However, with the recent evolving time and work-from-home idea, people are forced to sit at home and work for almost 24 hours a day, pushing them towards unhealthy regimes like junk food intake, and zero activity.
Prevent Lifestyle Related disease via Ayurveda
Ayurveda offers several regimes to prevent lifestyle disorders and help you cure health problems naturally.
- Dinacharya (daily regimen)
- Ritucharaya (seasonal regimen)
- Rasayana (Rejuvenation) food and medication
- Panchakarma (detoxification and bio-purification)
- Aachara Rasayana (code of conduct)
- Sadvritta (ideal routines)
Ayurveda believes in Swastha or the equilibrium between one’s dosha, dhatu, and mala by maintaining proper functioning of Aatma, mana, and indriya in one’s body. Proper exercise and a correct diet can prevent lifestyle disorders. Yoga, correct sattvic diet, following dietary rules, Ayurvedic therapies, and mindful eating can help you maintain a healthy body leading to life more connected to nature.
Charya (Code of conduct) for a healthy routine – It describes code of behavior/conduct, for various stages and phases (daily code of conduct, code of conduct for the night, seasonal code of conduct, code of conduct during menstruation etc.) in our life as prescribed by age-old philosophy of Ayurveda.
Prevent Lifestyle Related issues with Diet
A proper diet and eating habit plays a huge role in maintaining one’s health or Swasthya. Following a particular diet is crucial for one’s body.
- Have timely meals and follow dietary rules prescribed by Ayurveda.
- Eat with a pleasant mind focused on the food.
- Mindful eating is essential for your digestion and Agni. Remember to feed your stomach, not your emotions.
- Try including a sattvic and proportionate diet in your everyday food consumption for your digestive system to relax and facilitate the removal of aam dosha (toxins).
- I always tell people to avoid excess salted, processed and foods with added preservatives. They can lead to diabetes, hypertension, thyroid, and many more related issues.
- Restrict yourself from taking dairy products like Paneer, cheese, and sour curd. Milk, buttermilk, butter, and ghee are good to relish upon.
- Drink water only when thirsty, Your body recognizes the need and demands for it. Respect the urge. Drinking excess water without thirst is not wise.
Table of Contents
We might not realize but diet plays an essential role in keeping the body fit as a fiddle. You might have realized that when you eat in excess, you feel extremely lazy and sleepy which is all because of overeating.
Prevent Lifestyle Related Issues with Mental Strength
To cure your body and mind, I believe mental strength offers a strong will to recover and stay fit. If you aren’t mentally strong, there are chances you’ll get sick every now and then, but if you have strong willpower, you can easily brush off your health issues.
- Stay positive.
- Achara Rasayana or code of conduct is one way of keeping yourself healthy outside and in.
- Stay happy and eat right – This is the secret behind a happy lifestyle.
- Smoking, eating tobacco, and alcohol consumption regularly can push you to the edge, leading to an unhealthy lifestyle.
- Practice Yoga, meditate, and exercise to stay calm.
Ayurveda, undoubtedly, gives you an opportunity to live a healthy and long life. Lifestyle disorders are curable and can be controlled with the right diet, exercises and thoughts. With the current situation, it can become difficult for you to be inspired to exercise and follow a particular diet, but in the long run, I can assure you that this is the only regime that can help you reduce stress, stay healthy, and physically strong.
Stay Happy! Stay Fit!