Yes! you read it right. Thousands of years ago, Ayurveda has elaborated these foolproof dietary rules to maintain healthy life. No, it doesnot mention ‘x’ calories of carbohydrates, ‘y’calories of proteins, vitamins, etc, neither does it stress on eating every 2-3 hrs or having certain litres of water daily. These rules are exclusively based on basic Ayurvedic principles, considering the state of tridoshas, Prakriti, Agni (digestive fire) and psychological health (pleasant state of mind) which in turn will gift us a healthy body and a healthy mind. This is known as “Ahar vidhi Vidhaan”
Ahar Vidhi Vidhaan :
Ahar vidhi vidhan includes ten dietary rules, they are as follows :
- Ushna Ahar (freshly prepared hot food )
- Snigdha Ahar (moist and proper oil content food)
- Matrapurvak Ahar (proper quantity)
- Jirna Ahar (Having meals only after previous food is properly digested)
- Virya aviruddha (opposite or contraindicated foods)
- Ishta deshe (proper place)
- Na Atidrut (Not very fast)
- Na ativilambit (not very slow)
- Tan-mana-bhunjit (pleasing)
- Aatman-abhisamikshya bhunjit ( proper analyzing the food).
We shall elaborate each point seperately in our upcoming articles. Most of the diseases that we face these days are directly or indirectly result of incorrect lifestyle, may it be our dietary habits, altered daily chores, stress ,etc.
The incidences of PCOD, Thyroid problems, infertility, diabetes,obesity, cholestrol issues, heart ailments have surged up in last few decades, and so has our lifestyle altered, lack of exercise/over exertion, adaptation of foreign cultures/food habits without consideration of local climate, local food and other habits. Correcting these factors can prevent us from becoming a victim of these ailments and for those who are already a prey can atleast lead a better life and experience an improved health conditions.
It is true, that with our busy and hectic daily schedule there are many things which we cannot follow as it is, considering these hindrances, we’ll also see how we can cultivate these healthy habits in today’s era.