There’s a lot of contemplation pertaining to post-COVID care and precautions after post-COVID recovery. Ayurveda, through its holistic approach, has cured many patients with post-COVID symptoms. Let’s read more to know more.
While scientists and doctors are requesting people to maintain social distancing and be well-prepared for the 3rd wave of COVID-19, COVID patients who have recovered are now complaining about the post-COVID symptoms. Chest pain, headache, excessive weakness, mild fever, cough, shortness of breath, depression, and mental confusion are a few of them. Other symptoms prolong to transform into chronic illness without an underlying health issue which includes grave conditions like Mucormycosis and coagulopathies (blood clotting issues), these are life-threatening issues and have no obvious treatment.
A new disease, which originates and persists after the original illness is cured, is termed “Udarka” in Ayurveda. All these Post Covid conditions like Mucormycosis, coagulopathies, fatigue, etc can be referred to as udarkas of Covid.
Our body undergoes tough combat to defeat COVID, wherein the Dhatus – known as the building blocks of our body – undergo a lot of attrition, whereafter it succumbs to a weakened state of health and immunity. It is during this crucial period, that opportunistic infections seize the immune system.
Recover with Ayurveda
The only way to overcome these udarkas is to revitalize the body and the immune system. This is where Rasayan therapy comes into action. Rasayan medicines help to Rejuvenate, Regenerate and Restore the health of the affected Dhatus. Rasayan medicines and certain food supplements (included under Rasayan category) help to re-establish the equilibrium of Dosha, Dhatu, Mala, and Agni.
I believe a holistic approach is extremely essential in these times especially when recovered patients are vigorously looking for an answer for their unexplained symptoms. How long to regain energy after COVID? What to do if you feel weak? How to increase immunity power? How long do I need to follow a diet? Can I overcome Post Covid complications? These are the queries that I hear every day. So let’s answer them all.
- Rasayana medications have two modes of action, one that acts on overall body tissues, and the other is system-specific. Rasayan Medicines can vary with patients, depending on the severity of Dhatu damage, Agni, Bala (strength), and the symptoms of the patient.
Following the daily regime prescribed by Ayurveda, proper food intake and exercise is important along with Rasayan Medication and regular treatment for a stipulated time.
- We should understand, causing trauma and destroying the bodily dhatus occur in a very short span of time, but its reconstruction demands sufficient duration. We should, therefore, render our body the necessary time to heal. Follow a diet, medication, and take other measures. It may require a period of 2 to 6 months to regain normalcy, depending upon the individual’s status. Taking care of Agni is the foremost measure. Freshly cooked, kapha pacifying, easy-to-digest food should be consumed only when hungry. Medicated water infused with herbs should be consumed warm, only when thirsty. Once the Agni is kindled everything else fits in place.
- Indulging in high nutritious foods – like nuts, eggs, meat, fruits, and dairy items – to increase immunity is not a wise option at this time. The weakened Agni is not strong enough to digest this highly nutritious food and may lead to Aam formation which can worsen the situation. Going slow and kindling the Agni with easily digestible yet nutritious food choices proves effective.
- Conditions like a persistent cough, shortness of breath, chest pain require Rasayana medicines which will strengthen the structural and functional ability of respiratory organs and soothe the functioning of Vata dosha and Agni.
- Patients with Extreme fatigue, body ache, lethargy, loss of appetite, need Rasayana medicines which kindle Agni and heals the seven dhatus, nullifies the toxic effect of the infection and medication used to treat it, and also increases the Oja dhatu.
- The recovery from covid also takes a toll on mental health causing mental confusions, lack of confidence, depression, fear, loneliness arising due to isolation, and mental trauma due to loss of dear ones. Counseling, meditation, brain tonics, therapies like nasya, shirodhara, shiropichu proves beneficial to regain mental, emotional, and moral balance.
- Superimposed infections like Mucormycosis are a result of lack of hygiene, suppressed immunity due to the Covid infection, and debilitating aftermath of the vigorous medication and medicinal therapies. Ayurveda relates it with excess kleda, krimi, rakta, mamsa, meda and oja dushti. Reducing the kleda, undergoing measures to detoxify and purify rakta dhatu along with improving the Dhatu bala and body immunity, is one approach to deal with Fungal infections. The coexisting health issues also need to be dealt with efficiently in such cases.
- Coagulopathies is the thrombus or clot formation in blood, Rakta Dhatu loses its viscosity due to the association of Kapha dosha in the pathology and leads to clot formation or granthi Swaroop. Rakta Prasadan medicines aid in generating healthy Rakta Dhatu maintains fluidity, viscosity, and Pran or Jeevan karma of the blood tissue, and dissolves the clots.
- A proper Ayurvedic diagnosis of the condition, identifying the Doshs, Dhatus involved and bala and Agni of the patient help to select the perfect Rasayan medicine and therapy. There are many Rasayan medicines available in the market such as Narsinha rasayan, Agasti rasayan, chyawanprash, Amrutprash Ghrit, Vidaryadi avleha, and many more. It is advisable to consult your Ayurvedic physician to choose the right rasayan.
Panchakarma therapies may be required in some patients, let your doctor decide it for you. Besides Ayurvedic treatment, focus on Yoga, Pranayam, and meditation as it helps in maintaining the body’s equilibrium and improves immunity faster. Yoga Asanas like Bhujangasan, Dhanurasan, Pashchimottanasan, Surya Namaskar, and breathing exercises like Anulom, vilom, deep breathing exercises give your lungs enough space to breathe, offer muscle power, and improves immunity. Staying active and keeping your body in rhythm with the cosmos is extremely crucial for people who have just recovered from COVID-19.