The word ‘Ajirna’ in its of itself signifies the state of incomplete process of digestion on ingested food. The main reason for indigestion is agnimandya (weakened digestive fire).
Incomplete metabolism due to weakened digestive fire leads to unprocessed state of food causing ajirna.
“Najirayet sukhenannam vikaran kuruteapi cha| tadajirnamiti prahustanmula vividha ruja|”
The above said verse explains that this ajirna due to agnimandya is the root cause of many diseases.
Types of Ajirna :
According to predominance of vitiated doshas Ajirna is classified in three types;
- Amajirna – vitiated kapha dosha .
- Vidagdhajirna – vitiated pitta dosha .
- Vishtabdhajirna – vitiated vata dosha .
Etiology (Causative factors) :
- Disobeying the dietary rules is the prime cause.
- suppression of urges.
- Irregular meals.
- Over eating.
- Sleeping during day time.
- Drinking excessive water unnecessarily.
- Not sleeping at night.
- Eating heavy food (i.e. food which are heavy to digest).
- Eating too much of spicy food.
- Aversion towards food.
- Heaviness, distention in abdomen.
- Constipation or diarrhoea.
- Pain in abdomen.
- Bodyache, feeling of heaviness in chest & body, giddiness
- Headache, backache.
- Repeated yawning.
- Burning sensation in chest, sour belches.
- Body stiffness.
- Excessive thirst.
Water medicated with dry ginger, coriander seeds, musta can be of good help.
Warm lime water should be taken with few drops of ginger juice & a pinch of pepper powder.
A small piece of ginger with salt should be chewed at the beginning of the meal.
Sweet & fresh buttermilk with a pinch of cumin seed powder and trikatu churna should be taken after meals.
Ajwain, saunf should be chewed after meals, this helps digestion.
Foods like khichdi (gruels), roti (bread) made from jowar,rice or bajra, dal, cereals should be included in our daily diet. Vegetables like ladies finger, snake gourd, bitter gourd, pumpkin should be eaten. Fruits such as pomogranate, sweet lime, pineapple, fig. Black raisins, dry figs should be consumed.
Avoid eating stale, excessive spicy & oily food. Avoid eating fermented food, junk food & bakery foods regularly,and the most important thing is to avoid eating incompatable foods frequently. Avoid drinking excessive water when you are hungry because it can weaken the digestive fire.
- Trikatu churna, panchakol churna should be taken along with amalaki churna (embelica officinales).
- Hingvashtak churna – 1/4th teaspoon of hingvashtak churna should be taken along with ghee or warm water at the beginning of both meals.
- Shankha vati – 1 tab of shankha vati should to be taken half hour prior to the meals with warm water.
- Pathyadi churna – 1/4 tsp of pathyadi churna can be taken with warm water.
- A decoction of coriander seeds and dry ginger should be taken, as it kindles digestive fire.
- Ajmodadi churna, bhaskar lavan churna, prawalpanchamrit vati. All these medicines should be taken under proper consultation.
Inspite of taking all medicines mentioned above one should also follow few regimens to avoid ajirna, such as following dietary rules, avoid the causative factors, follow specific times of meals,etc.