Constipation is defined as infrequent passage of hard stools, there may also be complaints of straining, sensation of incomplete evacuation and perianal or abdominal discomfort.
Causes of constipation:
- Vishamaashan – Irregular habit of having meals.
- Adhyaashan – Over eating.
- Langhan – Fasting.
- Excessive intake of fermented food, dry food (food with no roughage), food which is heavy to digest.
- Lack of fluid intake.
- Excessive day sleep.
- No sleep at night.
- Suppression of natural urges.
- Agnimandya (weakening of digestive fire).
- Passage of hard stools.
- Heaviness in lower abdomen.
- Incomplete evacuation of stools & straining.
- Abdominal distention.
- Frequent painful passage of stools.
- Indigestion, nausea, bad breathe.
- Heart burn, pain in abdomen.
- Lack of sleep.
- Excessive passage of flatus with bad odour.
- Irritation, aversion towards food.
It can also result in dysmennorhoea in females. Chronic condition of constipation and straining can cause insomnia, headache, piles, fissures, and even rectal prolapse.
- Never use strong purgative medicines.
- Fluid intake like soups, warm water, fruit juices should be increased.
- warm milk with spoonful of ghee should be taken at night.
- Fibrous food like leafy vegetables, fruits like banana, dry grapes, sweet lime should be included in our diet.
- Avoid having too much of junk food like pizza, burgers, chips, bread and other fermented food.
- Medicines like :
- Nishottara churna (operculina terpethum), Triphala churna, Haritaki churna(terminalia chebula) can be taken along with warm water at night time.
- Castor oil should be taken along with warm water or with warm milk.
- Formulations like Gandharva haritaki, ampachak vati, sukhsarak vati, abhayarishta, triphala vati can be helpful.
- Medicines like hingvashtak churna, trikatu, bhaskar lavan churna should be used to improve digestion and further avoid constipation.
- The other form of treatment includes use of varti (medicated suppositories).
- Administration of anuvasan basti (enema with medicated oil) would serve better benefits.
Thus constipation is not a disease in itself, but a condition which if left untreated for long duration can cause many other diseases.