Halitosis or bad breathe is one of the commonly faced problem by many of us some or the other time. Bad breath is not a disease in itself but an irritating symptom which can bring concerns in social and personal rapport. Most of the times it is a temporary symptom which settles on its own depending upon the cause, but sometimes this small symptom can be intricate enough to deal with.
Causes of Bad Breathe :
- Lack of oral hygiene.
- Xerostomia (Dry mouth).
- Food particles clogged between the dentures provide a seat for Bacterias to multiply.
- Intake of pungent foods like Onion, Garlic, eggs.
- Smoking, Alcohol consumption and Tobacco chewing.
- Underlying diseases like Respiratory tract infection such chronic cold and Sinusitis, Gastro Intestinal complaints like indigestion, constipation, acidity. Also some kidney and liver diseases can be the cause of foul smelling breathe.
- Sometimes Diet and Fasting can also be the reason, as it leads to dryness of mouth and allows plaque formation.
- Brush your teeth properly atleast twice a day.
- Always clean the tongue after brushing.
- Rinse the mouth thoroughly after every meal, this helps to remove the clogged food particles.
- Drink enough water to prevent excessive dryness of mouth.
- Eating raw fruits and vegetables like Apple, pear, carrot, Celery cleanses the mouth and teeth.
- Avoid Alcohol, Smoking and consumption of caffeine products. Avoid mints and mouthwashes that contain alcohol. Instead of helping, they can make things worse. They only temporarily cover the odour and tend to dry the mouth, creating a more favorable environment for bacteria.
- Leafy vegetables like Pasley and Mint is a natural breathe freshener.
- Do visit your Dentist every 6 months for cleaning and check up, if there exists any denture problems.
Some Ayurvedic Breathe Freshening Tips :
- Cardamom seeds are one of the best mouth freshener, chewing of Cardamom seeds provides natural essence to the mouth.
- Chewing of Clove, Saunf, cummin seeds after meals is also very helpful.
- Drink Lemon juice mixed with water, some sugar and pinch of salt throughout the day.
- Decoction made from Methi seeds (Fenugreek seeds) helps to get rid from Bad Breathe and bad odour.
- Hold 2 tabs of Khadiradi vati in mouth to prevent bad breathe.
- A mixture of powders of Bakul (Mimusops elengi), Khadir (Acacia catechu), Clove, Betel nut, Cardamom, Mayaphal (Quercus infectoria), Cumin seeds, Vidang (Embelia ribes), Manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia), Black Pepper, Kulinjan (Alpini galanga), Camphor can be used in the form of a) Decoction for Gargles (Mouthwash), b)Tooth powder for brushing, or c) a tablet made from this mixture can be held in mouth to treat gum disease, prevent or delay tooth decay and also freshen up the mouth. This combination scrubs off the unhealthy Kapha molecules which are the main cause of Oral complaints and cleanses the Oral cavity.
- Frequent cold, chronic Sinusitis, cough,and other respiratory conditions can be one the cause for Halitosis, this condition can be treated with Sitopaladi churna, Talisadi churna, Yashtimadhu (Glycerrhiza glabra), Kantakari (Solanum xanthocarpum), Vasa (Adhatoda vasica), Shrunga bhasma, etc.
- If Indigestion or constipation is the cause for stingy mouth it can be well cured with medications like Shanka vati, Sootshekhar, Kamdudha, Triphala churna, Sukhsarak churna, Hingvashtak churna and lot more, the aim here is to treat the cause first.
- Gargles with medicated water of Yastimadhu (Glycerrhiza glabra), Sariva (Hemidesmos indicus) and Turmeric powder cleanses and reduces the bacterial laod in the oral cavity.
- Gargling or brushing with Baking soda is also one of the effective remedy.
- Gandush with warm water, or Triphala decoction also serves the same purpose. Gandush – The desired liquid is filled in the mouth till its maximum capacity and held upto maximum time you are able to and then spit it off. The procedure can be repeated 2-3 times. It not only cleanses the Oral cavity but also strengthens the Teeth and Gums.
So now follow these simple tips, Take care of your Oral hygeine and treate the underlying cause if any and Say a GOOD-BYE to Bad Breathe forever.