Swine Flu epidemic spread is amongst the most concerned medical issues recently. Major steps are being taken worldwide for its prevention and Public awareness. Inspite of all this the threat prevails to majority of the people – the entry portal being nostrils and mouth – and surely One cant stop breathing. Swine flu is an infection caused by any one of the several types of Swine influenza viruses. The known strains include Influenza C and the subtypes of influenza A known as H1N1, H1N2,H3N1 and H3N2. The spread among humans is through droplets expelled during cough and sneezing by an infected individual; Any personal contacts increases the risk of transmission. The symptoms of Swine flu are as under –
- Fever >100 degree F
- Sore throat
- Running nose
Sometimes accompanied with Diarrhea and vomitting. Some people may develope severe respiratory complications which may need respiratory support (Ventilator). Timely Diagnosis, proper medical aid and effective preventive measures can help control spread and cure Swineflu. Ayurveda explains Pathology of Jwar (Fever) as result of “Agnimandya” and accumulation of “Aam” in the body; which causes imbalance of the Doshas. We can correlate symptoms of Swine flu with “Vatakaphaj Jwar”, mentioned in Ayurveda. The predominance of Vata and Kapha Dosha at the end of winter and beginning of summer i.e. the Rutu sandhi kaal (transit season) lowers down the immune system of the body and makes the conditions favorable for the spread of the disease.
“Taaphani aruchi parva shiroruk peenas shwas kaas vibandha sheet jadya timir bhram tandra shleshmavaatjanit jwar lingam||” va.ni.6/25
Ayurveda explains solutions against these symptoms and also corrects the pre-existing Agnimandya and Aam alongwith rebuilding your immunity. Here are few preventive tips which can be adopted by every individual to keep Swine flu infection at a faraway distance :
- Avoid going in crowded place where chances of infection are higher.
- Use mask to prevent droplet infection.
- Wash hands frequently to avoid transmission through nose or mouth.
- Nasya – a)Apply a drop of Ghee or Eucalyptus oil in the nostrils before going out.
- b)You can also apply mixture of Camphor + Cardamom powder over handkerchief to smell occasionally.
- c) Apply a drop of Ghee or Eucalyptus oil in the nostrils before going out.
- Timely meals – fresh and properly cooked food.
- Avoid all Junk foods and foods that are frozen, deep fried or extremely sour.
- Herbs – like Tulsi, Guduchi and Ginger and spices like Cardamom , Clove, Cinammon can be included in various food preparations.
- Gargles – Gargles with medicated water of turmeric, yashtimadhu (Glycerrhiza glabra), Anantamool (Hemidesmus indicus) and salt should be done everyday.
- Milk – Warm milk + Turmeric is advisable to boost immunity.
- Decoction (Herbal Tea) – a) Herbal tea made of small piece of guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), dry ginger, tulsi leaves, Yashtimadhu can be sipped, it is good for fever, throat and increases immunity.
- b) Another decoction which can be helpful in all the conditions especially in fever with chills, bodyache, and all other symptoms – Coriander seeds -1 tsp, Cummin seeds 1/2 tsp, small piece of Ginger, Tulsi leaves 6-7, Lemon grass -1 twig, Clove – 1, Cinnamon – small piece, Pepper -1/2, Cardamom -1, Parijat leaves (night flowering Jasmine) – 1-2 leaves add these contents to 2 cups of water and reduce it to 1 cup, strain it and add Candy sugar (Khadisakhar) to it. Take the decoction once or twice a day depending upon the severity.
- Dhoopan – Dhoopan with medicinal powders like vacha, guggul, dhoop, camphor purifies the surroundings and keep various infections away.
- Yoga, Pranayam (Anuloma viloma), and Meditation increases immunity.
There’s lot more in the Ayurvedic treasure box, these are few of them which will surely help you, try to follow maximum tips and stay healthy.