Onset of winter brings along with it increased dryness in body and atmosphere as well. The increased cold leads to excessive accumulation of Vata in the body resulting in dry skin, chapped lips and heels, etc.
Here are some Tips to keep your skin satin smooth this winter :
- Avoid excessive hot water for bathing instead use warm water.
- Pamper your skin with a soothing oil massage before bath. It not only keeps your skin smooth and healthy but also gives immense relaxation. Make sure you leave the oil for atleast 30mins before bathing.You can use any oil like Coconut oil, sesame oil, olive oil or almond oil.
- According to Ayurveda the strength of the body is superior in winter compared to other seasons, for internal oleation you can increase intake of oil and ghee in diet, your body needs it. Ayurveda suggests intake of foods which are sweet, sour and salty in nature.
- Milk and milk products, wheat, Udad dal, meat and poultry, eggs, soups, herbal tea, soaked almonds, coconut, walnuts, pistachios all types of nuts and seeds which contain natural oil. Increased use of jaggery in diet helps to balance vata. Preparations like ladoos of fenugreek seeds, edible gum (Dinka), dry dates, cashews in ghee proves healthy during winter.
- Juicy fruits and vegetables like carrot, cucumber, lemon, etc which has high water content should be consumed. Daily Water intake should also be increased.
- Exercise : This is a very important regimen in winter, exercise increases blood circulation and thus reduces vitiated Vata, and there by improves digestion and ultimately leaves your skin soft.
- Avoid harsh soaps, Use soaps with high content of natural oils and glycerine which are soft to your skin. You can also use gram flour with milk or cream or rose water.
- A mixture of glycerine and lime juice can be stored in a clean and air tight bottle, apply this mixture daily and leave it on for atleast an hour.
- Anuvasan Basti (sneha basti) is one of the Panchakarma which serves as excellent internal and external oleation. Abhyanga and swedan not only smoothens the skin but also relaxes the entire body.
- Facial pack with herbs like Shatavari, Yashtimadhu, Anantamool, Rose petals, Nagarmotha, Amla, Aloe in milk or cream leaves a great moisturising effect. you can apply the pack once or twice a week.
- Herbs like Amla, Shatavari, Ashwagandha, Aloe, Shunthi, Manjishtha, Anantamool, Triphala, Chandan, have gentle detoxifying properties and also helps to maintain perfect moisturising balance. It regulates vata, and also maintains skin texture and radiance.
- Last but not the least An Amla a day keeps you fit and replenishes your body not only in winter but always. Preparations like Amla murabba, Chyawanprash serves additional benefits when consumed in winter.
Follow these simple tips, stay healthy and gift yourself with soft glowing skin.