- January 2, 2019
Chyawanprash – The Ayurvedic health tonic, immunity booster is known to almost everyone, for its extraordinary benefits. The famous Chyawanprash Avleha was first mentioned in Ayurvedic Grantha, “Charak Samhita”.
Acharya Charak classifies ‘Chyawanprash Avaleha’ under Rasayan category – meaning the medicines or herbs which helps to rejuvenate the body cells, thus enhancing and maintaining the youthfulness, vigor, vitality and energy of the body. It also delays the ageing process and restores the health.
Chyawanprash avleha – Chyawan -This delicious recipe was formulated by the sage Chyawan. Prash – The word prash specifies the consistency of it. It has thick jam like consistency which has to be licked and chewed a little; so the name ‘Chyawanprash‘.
Chyawanprash is enriched with more than 35 rejuvenating and healing herbs, ghee, honey, sugar, spices, etc. which not only makes it tastier but also a beneficial and healthy formulation. The prime content being Amalaki (Indian Gooseberry) other herbs like gokshur, haritaki, vidari, jivak, rishabhak, panchamool, etc detoxifies and rejuvenates the body. They develop healthy bodily tissues (dhatus), builds immunity and boosts energy.
Effects on Dosha Dhatu :
- Chyawanprash helps to balance the equilibrium of tridoshas. It pacifies Kapha and Vata dosha. Being hot in potency, if consumed by pitta prakriti individual during hot seasons can vitiate Pitta.
- It provides deep nourishment to all Seven dhatus Rasa, Rakta, Mamsa, Meda, Asthi, Majja and Shukra dhatu .
Benefits of Chyawanprash :
- Chyawanprash is a best rejuvenating formula for all age groups.
- It strengthens body immune system, by building healthy dosha, dhatus .
- It is an effective respiratory invigorator. It strengthens the respiratory system and takes care of chronic respiratory complaints like cough, breathlessness, etc.
- It helps in revitalization of body especially in elderly people and offers proper nourishment for the younger.
- It is a good cardiac tonic, it strengthens cardiac muscles and function of the heart.
- It cleanses and also improves functioning of urinary system.
- Chyawanprash improves digestion, kindles Agni at systemic level. It tonifies the GI tract thus enhancing proper metabolism.
- Chyawanprash restores virility, thus supporting fertility, libido and builds up sexual power in both men and women.
- It also beautifies skin tone and texture, prevents graying of hair, and delays ageing.
- Regular use of chyawanprash enhances memory, intelligence, health and longevity.
Best time to consume Chyawanprash :
- The body is at its best, in terms of fitness, agni,and energy in Hemant and Shishir ritu (Winter).
- Chyawanprash is bit hot in potency and heavy to digest, and most importantly, the best quality Amla is available in this season, so it is advisable to consume Chyawanprash during winter period of the year. It can also be consumed daily in specific quantity, taking in consideration the body constitution of the individual and climate.
- Being a rasayan formulation, it is advisable to take Chyawanprash early morning, on empty stomach. In certain conditions it can also be prescribed twice a day.
Right method to consume Chyawanprash :
- Commonly Chyawanprash can be taken 1-2 teaspoons once or twice daily in adults, and 1/2 tsp for kids above 5yrs.
- As mentioned earlier (rasayan) it should be taken early morning on empty stomach. It should be licked and chewed a little for better results.
- Avoid eating anything for atleast 1 hour before or after having chyawanprash. This facilitates its proper absorption and digestion. (Chyawanprash is heavy to digest due to liberal use of invigorating herbs).
- The dose should be reduced in hot seasons or in individuals with pitta dominance.
- In individuals with pitta predominance, it can be taken along with 1/2 to 1 tsp cow’s ghee.
- NEVER take Chyawanprash with MILK. Contradictory to the popular marketing and other medias, this statement may seem shocking, but yes this is the truth. The prime content of the formulation is Amla, which is predominantly sour in taste. Sour things when combined with milk is a viruddha (wrong combination), this may lead to ill-effects in long term usage.
- The dose of chyawanprash should be decided as per body constitution, age, health conditions and as directed by your physician.
- Don’t fall prey to flavored chyawanprash, as these added flavors may curtail its benefits.
Boost your immune system with this heavenly delicious herbal treat – Chyawanprash. Stay fit, Stay healthy.0
- Annavha srotas vyadhi
- Beauty tips
- Cosmetology and Ayurveda
- Epidemic diseases
- Garbha Sanskar
- Health tips – AYURVEDA SAYS
- Height gain
- Joint Care
- Medicinal plants
- Oral health
- Paediatrics (Balrog)
- Pain management
- Post Natal Care
- Seasonal Regimen
- Suvarna prashan
- Vata diseases
- Women health
- मराठी लेख